Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Best Laid Plans....

We had planned to go to Portland Island for today's paddle but the winds would be up for the afternoon meaning a possible small craft warning. Instead we decided we'd go around Coal Island. The water heading out looked lovely, John, Tracy and I were the first to arrive and put our boats and gear down by the water while we waited for Bernie and Paula.

16 pictures for you

We headed out with Paula and Tracy in the lead.

16 pictures for you

While John, Bernie and I lagged behind taking photos.

16 pictures for you

It was a really lovely day and the water wasn't too choppy so we decided to head out and see it Portland Island would be a possibility afterall. It wasn't and going around Coal Island was dismissed as well, so we headed down the channel instead and back to Robert's Bay.

16 pictures for you

Tracy preceeded us down the channel

16 pictures for you

and pointed out the wildlife I captured. I think I might be the one in our group to photograph raccoons! This is the second time I've been able to capture one, this time better than the last.

16 pictures for you

It was the lightest coloured racoon I've seen, almost blonde.

16 pictures for you

Unfortunately John missed him and I don't have a zoom that would have gotten a closer shot. It didn't seem perturbed about me taking photos of it and didn't rush away either.

16 pictures for you

We continued down the channel enjoying the lovely weather and the wind hadn't picked up yet but Paula did point out clouds that indicated something was on the way. Paula and Tracy paddled ahead of me having a nice chat.

16 pictures for you

While John lagged behind taking photos and Bernie played with his new video camera.

16 pictures for you

Once we got out of the channel the water was full of Sunday boat traffic and we had to deal with wake from different directions. The wind picked up too making for an interesting ocean motion. At one point a large wave completely soaked the front of my PFD and trickled down into my kayak's cockpit. All the motion made me a bit green and I was concentrating on paddling so no photos.

Except when we arrived in calmer waters in Robert's Bay and I captured the last photo of today's paddle.

16 pictures for you

No comments:

Post a Comment