Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Knots

Dear Kayak Yak
My wife has suddenly developed an interest in tying knots. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the new "in" thing, because I've noticed our pool boy has been practicing tying knots as well. Anyway, I was wondering if you knew of any good kayak-related knots.
Yours,
Clapped Out in Cloverdale

Dear Clapped
We sure do. Paula learned this rope trick at Paddlefest. It's great for towing someone.

First, you get some rope.



Then you pass the rope through the front towing hook of the kayak to be towed.



Pass through enough rope so that it goes all the way to the cockpit of the kayak to be towed.



Then you make a bunny ear.



Loop the bunny ear under the line in front of the two hook and through the circle.


Tighten it up.


Now you can tow someone. The really neat thing about this knot is that the pull of the towing kayak keeps it tight, yet the person being towed can unhitch themselves with a very gentle tug on their end.

3 comments:

  1. How could you manage to get a shot of me that makes me look like a demented rope enthusiast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dedication and sheer hard work.

    ReplyDelete