Thursday, September 04, 2014

New Use for StraitEdge2

Well, well. There is a purpose to surfing the review forums online for reviews of kayaks and canoes. It's not just that I'm jonesing to get out in one of my boats.

Hello. My name is Paula, and I am a kayaker. It's been three weeks since I last took a boat out on the water. No, wait -- I was on a ferry between Swartz Bay and Tsawassen and that counts because I went out on deck and named all the islands and remembered every place I've paddled as we went past. And I was on a beach with Bernie, relaxing and thinking about the times we'd paddled past that spot.
An old panorama shot by Alison off Cordova Bay showing Pkols/Mount Douglas
Lest anyone think that I've given up paddling or have an injury or lost my boats or am just grumpy, rest assured that I'm travelling and fine and for all but the last handful of days there has been a kayak right at hand. But the accessible water at each of three locations available to me has been icky.
That's the technical term. The Sturgeon River had a thick algae bloom. Lake Beaumaris is posted Do Not Swim or Boat (it's a storm drain runoff lagoon, not a lake). And now False Creek in Vancouver has levels of E. coli bacteria so high that the dragonboaters and kayak rental place have shut down til the weekend. Alas.
But I digress.

Photo is from the Advanced Elements website page for the StraitEdge2!

I was going to say that on a review forum I found a new use for the StraitEdge2, a tandem sit-on-top kayak made by Advanced Elements. You can read about this model of kayak here at their website, where I borrowed the above image showing this fine inflatable kayak in use. The new use I learned for this multi-functional boat is as a bathtub.
Yup, a tub. I'd already figured out that it made a great bed with snug sides. It's really comfortable to lie down inside it, on or off the water. But a tub?
No kidding. One yachter uses his StraitEdge2 as a tender to go to shore, or as a fishing boat. He discovered that if he lets all the air out of the inflated floor, closes the valves, then opens the scuppers, the boat fills with water between the big pontoons. Instant floating bathtub, heavy and low in the water once he gets in. He attaches both bow and stern to his sailboat, then gets in for a relaxing soak. "Grab a cool drink, soak, and watch the sunset," he says in his review which you can click here and scroll down to read. "Very civilized after a hard day of paddling."
I bet that it would also work on land, with warm water. Deflate the floor, close the valves and scuppers, and then fill the boat with warm water for a nice warm soak and a chance to rinse out the sand that can collect in the nooks and crannies.


No comments:

Post a Comment