Monday, November 01, 2010

Beyond the Horizon

Colin Angus is a local fella, but his books and articles go world-wide. One of his books is Beyond the Horizon: the great race to finish the first human-powered circumnavigation of the planet. You can read about it here, on the website set up by Angus and his wife to promote their adventures. Though no kayaks were used in this circumnavigation, two rowboats were used, and that satisfies my interest in small boat adventures.
I have to admit that I'm a real fan of these extreme adventure stories, and this book did not disappoint. There was plenty of insight into the experience, some character development, and I liked the way Angus shows the country through which he moved. It was told in a kind of a rush, though, and made for a quick reading experience. I could have enjoyed reading more about the travel, and would have liked more maps in the book. But it's staying in my memory, and now I'm going to look up all the other books written by Colin and Julie Angus.

No comments:

Post a Comment